To celebrate the International Day of Rural Women (IDRW) on October 15th, the CGIAR Collaborative Platform for Gender Research illustrated how gender research in agricultural and natural resource domains is contributing to improving the lives of rural women.
Click here to access our campaign or click the photo below.
To mark the International Day of Rural Women on October 15th, the CGIAR Collaborative Platform for Gender Research was proud to share CGIAR gender research in agricultural and natural resource domains that contribute to improving the lives of rural women.
This year’s contributions capture some of what we know about rural women in various domains, how we can analyze and measure women’s empowerment, and pathways to change. We start off in Nepal hearing from a woman (Nita) rice-farmer whose husband has migrated for work. We then hear more from CGIAR gender researchers as they study:
- Effects of male out-migration on women who remain in farming communities;
- Women’s heterogeneity when it comes to research on agriculture for nutrition and health, and of listening to women’s stories;
- The almost universal need for better rights provision for women;
- The relationship between gender norms and innovation both in forest landscapes in Indonesia and Kyrgyzstan and in wheat agri-food systems in Nepal;
- Empowering women through fodder seed provision in Afghanistan;
- Measuring women’s empowerment in relation to climate change and livestock agri-food systems;
- Gender inclusive breeding programs;
- Changing practices and perceptions when it comes to the consumption of whole grain sorghum and millet in Mali;
- Empowering women through nutrition and hygiene education in Mozambique;
- Women’s participation in rice agri-business innovation platforms that support local rice value chain development;
- Women taking the lead in climate-smart agriculture and developing their livelihoods;
- And, finally, a photo tribute to rural women!
CGIAR gender research provides evidence to support development programming that improves the lives of rural women all over the world.
On this date, and everyday celebrate rural women today!