Research development and support
- Provide support to the ILRI gender team by producing high-quality evidence, research and approaches on thematic areas within gender and livestock;
- Provide advice and guidance to ILRI and partners, including by being proactive in providing options and opportunities for ILRI scientists to integrate gender within their research;
- Take a lead on research on gender and livestock feeds and forages;
- Ensure gender research outputs are of high quality, meet international standards and are impact oriented;
- Participate and contribute to preparing submissions for research proposal; and
- Coordinate and supervise research assistants and consultants working on these topics.
- Prepare and conducts training for practitioners, national research organizations, government officials and civil society.
- Publish scientific papers and communicate with the scientific community;
- Use multimedia and social media for outreach to the general public;
- Participate in national and global events related to gender and livestock;
- Work with ILRI’s communications team to communicate new knowledge.
- A PhD in a social science (geography, anthropology, sociology, development studies, economics, political economy) or substantial and long-term development experience on relevant topics; and
- At least five years of experience in managing research or research-for-development projects in developing countries and supporting gender-sensitive, inclusive and pro-poor objectives in agriculture and natural resource management.
- A willingness to work with biophysical scientists and a proven ability to apply methods and approaches to achieve effective integration of gender within ILRI’s livestock mandate;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience with working in multidisciplinary and multicultural environments in relevant geographies;
- A track record of peer-reviewed publications;
- Ability to work collaboratively and undertake fieldwork; and
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- On-the-ground experience in South Asia, sub-Saharan African and/or Southeast Asia;
- Networks in research, including at the grassroots level in Africa and/or Asia; and
- Experience in fundraising.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
For more information and to apply see: ILRI website