GENDER (Generating Evidence and New Directions for Equitable Results), through it’s host ILRI, is seeking to recruit an innovative and creative science leader to serve as the GENDER Platform’s Scientific Officer. The main function of the position is to ensure that the Platform delivers robust scientific research and evidence, leading to impact. This is an exciting opportunity to join and contribute to the platform’s establishment and development as a premier research resource on gender and agriculture. https://gender.cgiar.org/
GENDER is CGIAR’s new platform designed to put gender equality at the forefront of global agricultural research for development. The Platform aims to transform the way gender research is done, both within and beyond CGIAR, to kick-start a process of genuine change toward greater gender equality and better lives for smallholder farmers everywhere. GENDER builds on a wealth of research and learning generated by the previous CGIAR Gender Network and the Collaborative Platform for Gender Research (2011–2019). It encompasses all 15 CGIAR Research Centers, 12 collaborative CGIAR Research Programs and 3 CGIAR System-wide Research Support Platforms. The platform is hosted by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in Nairobi, Kenya and therefore will be recruiting for this position.
The position will be expected to contribute to and support the Platform on generation, analysis and strategic communication of high-quality evidence. The incumbent will work closely with the Platform director, the leaders of the three modules on Evidence, Methods and Alliances, research teams and partners. The Science Officer will also support the Platform in pro-actively adhering to CGIAR’s quality of research for development framework (QoR4D). The position will allow the incumbent to strengthen their publication record, by leading and/or publishing with the research teams.
- Support and lead, where necessary, the Platform in delivering scientifically robust research and evidence
- Support Platform research teams and partners to develop and implement both new and existing research methods and approaches, which are scientifically robust and in line with the CGIAR’s Qo4RD.
- Set high standards and procedures for science undertaken and commissioned by the Platform, and ensure compliance with these along with ethical requirements
- Monitor progress of the research projects, including review of draft operational reports and research performed, to ensure quality of outputs
- Develop innovative system to support gender researchers to ensure good research from data collection to publication
- Coordinate with gender researchers and module leaders to ensure science deliverables are met and are of high quality
- Assist gender researcher teams and partners with troubleshooting in the event of problems with specific research projects
Outreach (in collaboration with the communication team)
- Write and consolidate scientific achievements of the Platform into fit-for-purpose communications materials to influence policy.
- Ensure effective information resources on gender in AR4D are available online for key audiences
- Provide technical and policy commentary based on the work of the platform when required by the media or key stakeholders and donors
- Represent the platform in a wide range of environments, including academic, policy and the media
- The role reports to the Director, CGIAR Gender Platform
- The incumbent will work closely with the Platform Director, Leaders of the three modules on Evidence, Methods and Alliances, research teams and partners.
Required qualification and experience
- PhD in a relevant discipline, including gender studies, sociology, agricultural economics, public policy, political science, anthropology, geography, or other social sciences
- At least 5 years of experience working in a research or science-based organization
- Internationally recognized expertise in gender and development research, preferably in the food and agriculture sphere
- Evidence of scientific publications in international journals
- Evidence of high-quality science communication products for different audiences
- Record of past successful research and/or contributions to research to development projects
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in English
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Exposure to Africa, Asia, and Latin America with a knowledge of the CGIAR is desirable
- Proven fundraising record
- In addition to English, proficiency in other international languages
Post location: The position will preferably be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This is position is at job level HG 19 and it is open to both national and international applicants. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ before 9 October 2020.
The position title and reference number REF: SO/08/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Women are encouraged to apply.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
Download a PDF version: Science Officer job advert_PDF