The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Senior Gender Scientist – Strategic Research to contribute to ILRI’s gender team by leading areas of change in gender and livestock. The position will focus on delivering evidence and interventions to partners and policymakers to enable positive outcomes for livestock keepers and owners.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
Research development and support
- Develop and lead emerging research themes on gender and livestock by producing high-quality evidence, research and approaches to be taken up by partners and policymakers;
- Provide guidance to ILRI and partners, including by being proactive in providing options and opportunities for ILRI to integrate gender strategic research within its research;
- Coordinate and lead engagement with partners and policymakers;
- Critically review gender research outputs to ensure that they are of the highest quality, meet international standards and are impact oriented;
- Contribute to and lead preparation of submissions for research proposals; and
- Coordinate and supervise research assistants and consultants working on these topics.
- Publish scientific papers and communicate with the scientific community;
- Use multimedia and social media for outreach to the general public;
- Participate in national and global events related to gender and livestock; and
- Work with ILRI’s communications team to support communicating new knowledge.
- A PhD in a social science (geography, anthropology, sociology, development studies, economics, political economy) or substantial and long-term development experience on relevant topics; and
- At least eight years of experience in managing research or research-for-development projects in developing countries and supporting gender-sensitive, inclusive and pro-poor objectives in agriculture and natural resource management.
- A proven ability to provide innovative thinking within gender and agriculture, a willingness to work with biophysical scientists and proven ability to apply methods and approaches to achieve effective integration of gender within ILRI’s livestock mandate;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience with working in multidisciplinary and multicultural environments in relevant geographies;
- A track record of peer-reviewed publications;
- Ability to work collaboratively and undertake fieldwork;
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- On-the-ground experience in South Asia, sub-Saharan African and/or Southeast Asia;
- Networks in research, including at the grassroots level in Africa and/or Asia; and
- Experience in fundraising.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
For more information and to apply see: ILRI Website