The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Team Leader, Gender scientist with a passion for establishing and leading innovative work in world class livestock gender research in the developing world, to lead a growing team of gender researchers.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
Livestock is one of the most gender sensitive agricultural sectors in developing countries, with 70% of the labour being provided by women, but with often little control over the assets and income derived from livestock activities. Women are also key to ensuring that the potential of animal source foods to contribute to nutritional security is realized.
- Lead ILRI’s research on gender and livestock both as an independent area of research and across the organization’s research areas
- Be the ILRI focal point for the CGIAR Gender platform
- Supervise scientists and staff working in gender research, and provide guidance to integrating gender in ILRI programs and projects
- Coordinate ILRI staff capacity development in gender and gender analysis
- Build collaborations with relevant institutions and organizations internationally and nationally to conduct research on gender and disseminate evidence for influencing policy and practice
- Support research and development projects led by ILRI and other partners including NGOs to integrate best practice in gender and to generate evidence for scaling out
- Develop proposals to raise resources to support strategic and integrated gender research
- The position is supported by a team of gender scientists and research assistants
- The Team Leader will be a member of the Institute Research and Management Committee
- Ph.D. in Social Science (Rural Sociology, Gender and Development, Social Anthropology, etc) or related field with application to agriculture or rural development
- At least 8 years of relevant experience post-PhD
- A proven ability to provide innovative thinking within gender and agriculture, a willingness to work with biophysical scientists and proven ability to apply methods and approaches to achieve effective integration of gender within ILRI’s livestock mandate;
- A proven research record on gender and agriculture extending to study design, quantitative and qualitative analytic methods and peer-reviewed output
- Supervisory and management experience of staff, projects and programs
- Familiarity with aspects of livestock production, and/or marketing systems in developing countries
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage multiple partnerships, and to develop successful funding proposals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience with working in multidisciplinary and multicultural environments in relevant geographies;
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken (proficiency in French is strong advantage)
- Willingness to travel frequently
Post location: The post is in Nairobi, Kenya or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Terms of Appointment
This is position is at job level HG 20 and it is open to both national and international applicants. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ before 15 August 2020. The position title and reference number REF: TL-G/07/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.
This vacancy was originally posted on the ILRI website.