The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is recruiting a Scientist – Gender Research to support implementation of the Evidence Module of the CGIAR GENDER Platform. This position will be based in Nairobi.
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Sustainable Impact Platform will deliver on key priorities of the IRRI Strategic Plan in the areas of Soil, Climate and Water, Adaptive Agronomy and Pest Ecology, Knowledge Tools, Livelihoods, Gender, Nutrition, Geospatial Science and Modeling and Mechanization and Postharvest.
IRRI is leading the Module on ‘Evidence’ in the new CGIAR GENDER Platform. ‘Evidence’ will be at the heart of the GENDER Platform activities contributing to achieving the reinforcing visions of the Platform as well as OneCGIAR. We are aiming for a world where Gender Equality (GE) drives food systems transformation and vice-versa. We desire food systems that are sustainable, equitable, climate resilient, nutritious and productive. Catalysing these transformations needs evidence-based research, development and policy options. Gender gaps and inequalities continue to persist as investment decisions, programs and policies are often not grounded in a strong evidence base. The Evidence module aims to identify and fill the evidence gaps, in collaboration with partners within and beyond CGIAR (research, academia, public and private sectors, practitioners). It aims to position GENDER as the go-to-place for high quality evidence and knowledge on equitable and sustainable food systems. It aims to communicate the evidence it collates/generates to influence agriculture and natural resource management R4D policy and practice to facilitate design of pathways for equitable food systems transformations.
This position will support the Evidence Module leader and the Platform team in the design, implementation and reporting of module activities and associated partnerships. This position will also oversee junior research staff working on gender and livelihoods at IRRI.
Reporting to the Module Leader for Evidence, the scientist will:
- Contribute to the development of a gender research portfolio/evidence base including consolidating and prioritizing key knowledge and evidence gaps to help address social equity objectives and;
- Support the facilitation of implementation of strategic research to be undertaken by the Platform, including transdisciplinary and solution-oriented research projects in collaboration with CGIAR and non-CGIAR partners (advanced research institutes, universities, private sector, civil society) including meta-analyses and syntheses.
This position will be based at the IRRI Kenya Office in Nairobi, Kenya and is open for international applications.
Screening of applications will start on 3 November 2020.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead and conduct research to identify and understand gender evidence gaps in agri-food systems
- Lead the set-up of the “Evidence” resource center by identifying and implementing innovative ways of visualizing gender evidence gaps
- Lead the coordination of Covid-19 response research
- Deliver outputs and outcomes aligned with the Module and Platform vision, mission, values, target goals, policies and procedures
- Establish collaboration with research and academic partners, as well as other work package leaders; this includes troubleshooting whenever issues arise from the projects
- Develop and sustain partnerships and coordinate with other CG centers for joint advocacy and knowledge generation and sharing on gender, evidence and impact issues
- Align with Platform, Module and Work Package Leaders and Research Support to assure cross-center and cross-module synergy
- Maintain and proactively develop network and partnerships with potential donors
- Manage performance and mentor research staff in the research cluster
- Monitor the of progress of the research projects, including the review of draft operational reports and research performed ensuring quality of outputs at all times
- Lead implementation and reporting of Knowledge Management and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning strategy and contribute to Platform MEL plan and implementation
- Write and consolidate scientific achievements of the Module into fit-for-purpose communications materials in collaboration with the Platform and IRRI communications teams.
- Develop technical and financial report on the work of the module
- Publish and actively contribute to articles in peer-reviewed journals/digests that highlight findings from module activities showcasing the scientific leadership
- Represent the Module, Platform and IRRI to a wide audience by presenting at international conferences/meetings
- PhD in Rural Sociology, Gender Studies, Anthropology, Feminist Economics, Development Economics, Development Studies, Agricultural Economics, Institutional Economics, Geography or related field
- 1-2 years post PhD experience in Gender R4D in agriculture or food systems
- Deep and sound grounding in theoretical and analytical frameworks and concepts of gender and social equity
- Excellent Written and Oral communication skills in English
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills, with keen interest in and experience with mixed methods
- Evidence of scientific publications in international journals
- Evidence of high quality communication products for different audiences
- Experience of working with R&D partners nationally and globally
- Experience with R4D project management, including planning, physical and financial implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting
- Sound interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Experience working on Gender R4D and evidence generation in Africa and Asia
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.