The status of women in agri-food systems 2023
The CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform has produced a global snapshot of gender and social equality and women’s empowerment in agriculture and food systems. Our insights, conclusions and recommendations have informed the 2023 report The Status of Women in Agrifood Systems, recently published by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
The CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform, drawing on gender expertise from across CGIAR, has produced six working papers (plus one overarching paper) that identify changes in thinking and progress toward equality in agri-food systems during the past 10 years.
These papers were developed to support the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to write an update to its 2010-11 report on the State of Food and Agriculture. In 2023, FAO published The Status of Women in Agrifood Systems to provide the latest evidence on persistent equality challenges and offer promising ways forward.
The CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform’s six evidence-based papers address key themes important for gender and social equality, and women’s empowerment in agriculture and food systems. They each discuss:
- the current status and emerging thinking
- the theme’s relevance for transformative change toward more inclusive food systems
- the evolution of equality in agriculture and food systems over the past 10 years in low-and middle-income countries
- what has proved effective to ease structural constraints, and promote equality and empowerment
- specific suggestions about interventions, programs and policies that can help make agriculture and food systems more inclusive.
These publications are copyrighted by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). © FAO, 2023.