This position will support the GENDER Platform's Evidence Module leader, Module and Platform teams in supporting implementation of module activities and managing associated partnerships.
Closing Date: May 13, 2021
Salary: 40700 - 103300 INR per month
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
IRRI is leading the Module on ‘Evidence’ in the new CGIAR GENDER Platform. ‘Evidence’ will be at the heart of the GENDER Platform activities contributing to achieving the reinforcing visions of the Platform as well as One CGIAR. We are aiming for a world where gender equality (GE) drives food systems transformation and vice-versa. We desire food systems that are sustainable, equitable, climate resilient, nutritious and productive. Catalysing these transformations needs evidence-based research, development and policy options. Gender gaps and inequalities continue to persist as investment decisions, programs and policies are often not grounded in a strong evidence base. The Evidence module aims to identify and fill the evidence gaps, in collaboration with partners within and beyond CGIAR (research, academia, public and private sectors, practitioners). It aims to position GENDER as the go-to-place for high quality evidence and knowledge on equitable and sustainable food systems. It aims to communicate the evidence it collates/generates to influence agriculture and natural resource management research for development (R4D) policy and practice to facilitate design of pathways for equitable food systems transformations.
This position will support the Evidence Module leader, Module and Platform teams in supporting implementation of module activities and managing associated partnerships.
Reporting to the Module Leader for Evidence and, working closely with the Platform and other two module teams, the Associate Scientist will:
- Lead gender research on key themes to contribute to evidence generation, synthesis and communication
- Provide technical support to teams including CGIAR and non-CGIAR partners engaged in evidence generation in key thematic areas
- Support coordination of module grants on specific themes
- Lead organization of stakeholder and partner workshops as required.
- Lead communication and resource center initiatives of the Evidence Module working closely with the Platform Communications team.
This position will be based out New Delhi in India and may only be filled in by permanent citizens of India.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan and manage research activities for evidence generation activities in the module.
- Lead coordination and support contributions of partners engaged in evidence generation and synthesis.
- Coordinate selected module grants for evidence generation.
- Lead communications and resource center initiative of the Platform
- Build and maintain collaboration with research and academic partners, including research teams
- Support with developing partnerships and coordinate with other CGIAR centers for joint advocacy and knowledge generation and sharing on gender, evidence and impact issues
- Lead organization of stakeholder and partner workshops
- Engage closely with the Platform team, particularly the communications experts
- Plan and participate in regular module and project planning and management meetings
- Coordinate and liaise with CGIAR and non-CGIAR partners for effective implementation, monitoring and reporting of evidence generation and synthesis activities
- Contribute and guide project teams in managing field operations, ensuring quality of data/evidence being generated.
- Organize workshops, meetings, conferences and, training in collaboration with the Platform Communications team and other modules.
- Actively contribute to articles in peer-reviewed journals that highlight findings from module activities showcasing the scientific leadership
- Develop communication materials for the Platform resource center and beyond
- Ensure delivery of the outputs of Module research grants
- M.Sc./Master’s degree in Rural Sociology, Gender Studies, Development Studies, Geography or related field with minimum 4 years of relevant work experience in gender R4D in agriculture or food systems
- Or PhD in Rural Sociology, Gender Studies, Development Studies, Geography or related field with minimum with 1 year of relevant work experience in gender R4D in agriculture or food systems
- Sound understanding of gender in agriculture issues and agricultural R4D
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Evidence of high quality communication products for different audiences
- Experience of working with research and development partners nationally and globally
- Experience with R4D project management, including planning, physical and financial implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting
- Sound interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Understanding of and experience with developing, implementing and reporting and knowledge management strategies and plans
- Experience with gender integration in R4D projects
- Experience with design of projects and programs
- Experience with budgeting and financial management and monitoring of projects
In addition to the basic salary mentioned above, IRRI also offers the below listed allowances:
- House-Rent Allowance: IRRI provides a house rent allowance of 40% of base pay per month.
- Transport Allowance: A monthly transport allowance of INR 5000 per month for NRS L6.
- Dearness Allowance: One Hundred and Thirteen percent (113%) of employee’s base pay.
- Leave Travel Allowance (LTA): One-month base pay per annum, on availing minimum 2 days of vacation leave
- Education Allowance: INR 1000/- per child per month (limited 2 children)
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.