The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a consultant for the CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform to prepare Position Paper on integrating a youth perspective in agricultural and food system research for development.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The CGIAR Impact GENDER Platform puts equality at the forefront of global agricultural research for development, both within and beyond CGIAR, to kick-start a process of genuine change toward greater gender equality, improved opportunities for youth and social inclusion. The Position Paper on integrating a youth perspective in agricultural and food system research for development will be a way to guide the CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform, CGIAR and its partners in conducting cutting-edge research, as well as develop and scale innovations, that advance gender equality and opportunities for youth in agricultural and food systems in Low-and Middle Income Countries. This is important to achieve the CGIAR impact areas of Gender equality, youth and social inclusion.
Objective of the assignment
We envision a Position Paper to be
- A document guiding the position of CGIAR on integrating a youth perspective in agricultural and food system research for development, guided and vetted by the CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform
- A document including proposed solutions, vetted by the CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform, for integrating a youth perspective in agricultural and food system research for development and tracking the impact in this area
- A paper drafted by experts on the matter
- A paper reviewed by the CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform and external reviewers
- A document labelled as a Position Paper, authored by the person(s) developing the paper, and produced and published by CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform
- The length of a research paper (approximately 10,000 words)
The consultant will undertake the following activities:
- Define the concept of youth in agri-food systems in Low-and Middle Income Countries (LMICs)
- Summarize the state-of-the-art and current thinking about youth in agri-food systems in LMICs
- Lay out the relevance of a youth perspective in agricultural and food system research for development
- Reflect on the complementarity/intersection of a youth perspective and a gender perspective in agricultural and food system research for development
- Propose a position/perspective for CGIAR on youth in agricultural and food system research for development, thereby also defining the scope of the topic
- Propose a position on key indicators of impact in terms of inclusion of youth in agri-food systems through agricultural and food system research for development
The consultant will deliver.
Final version of Position Paper with the length of a research paper (approximately 10,000 words), ready for copy-editing before publication as a Position Paper on the CGIAR GENDER Impact Platform website
Consultancy Fee: Lumpsum or by mutual agreement based on agreed milestones and deliverables
Post location: Homebased
Duration: 15 November 2022 to 31 January 2023 (working days: 30 days)
Essential skills and qualifications
- MSc in agriculture or related field. PhD would be an asset
- At least 10 years’ relevant experience
- Experience in agri-food systems
- Proficiency in English
- Excellent team communication skills
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 25 October 2022. The position title and reference umber REF: G/695/2022 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants' bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.