The Pro-WEAI Foundations Module addresses the importance of measuring women’s empowerment within project-specific contexts. It draws on qualitative methods to enhance understanding of women’s empowerment in specific social and cultural contexts and includes optional modules tailored to livestock and/or nutrition and health programs.
This course is in English, French, and Arabic
What will you learn?
Upon successful completion of this module, learners should be able to:
- Discuss the conceptual underpinnings of pro-WEAI, including the concept of women’s empowerment and the Reach, Benefit, Empower Framework.
- Describe key elements of pro-WEAI, including domains and indicators, and how pro-WEAI is constructed.
- Understand how the qualitative protocols may be used in concert with the quantitative tool.
- Interpret quantitative pro-WEAI results using standard tables and charts.
- Diagnose, using pro-WEAI, key areas of disempowerment and how they may be affected by project interventions.
What resources do you need to do it?
Internet access, email access, and a 'E-learning platform for Food Security Portal' account (free to register)
More about this training
This module involves approximately 3 hours of online content followed by a final quiz (approx. 45 min). The rate of completion may vary depending on learning styles, prior knowledge, and previous experience. The module is broken down into three units, as follows:
- Unit 1: Understanding empowerment and the Reach, Benefit, Empower Framework [approx. 45 min]
- Unit 2: Pro-WEAI methodology [approx. 1 hour]
- Unit 3: Interpreting pro-WEAI [approx. 1 hour]
Final quiz [approx. 45min]
Upon finishing the course, learners will receive a certificate of completion.
Note that this module emphasizes the fundamentals and does not cover details on how to implement the quantitative surveys or qualitative protocols, or how to compute the index. These subjects will be covered in later modules of the course. We recommend that anyone who will be implementing pro-WEAI take those modules as well.
This module is designed for anyone who is interested in understanding the basics of pro-WEAI. The primary audience for this module includes:
- NGO and consulting firm staff
- Researchers in universities, national agricultural research systems (NARS), CGIAR institutions, and other international organizations
- Donors and development partners
- Government and UN agency staff
- Development practitioners
Who can I contact for more information?
Write to IFPRI-WEAI[at]ciar.org